- Alexander, K. L., & Pallas, A. (1985, April). School sector and cognitive performance: When is a little a little? Sociology of Education, 58, 115—128.
- Berliner, D.C. & Biddle, B.J. (1995). The Manufactured Crisis: Myths, Fraud, and the Attack on America's Public Schools. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing.
- Cooley, W. (1991). School choice or school reform? Pennsylvania Educational Policy Studies, No.12. Pittsburgh, PA: Learning Research and Development Center, University of Pittsburgh.
- Corwin, R. (1993). Private Schools and Parental Choice. Los Alamitos, CA: Southwest Regional Laboratory.
- Greene, J., Peterson, P., & Du, J. (1996). The effectiveness of school choice in Milwaukee: A secondary analysis of data from the program’s evaluation. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Center for American Political Studies.
- Howell, W. G., Wolf, P. J., Peterson, P. E., and Campbell, D. E. (2000, August). Test-score effects of school vouchers in Dayton, Ohio, New York City, and Washington, DC: Evidence from randomized field trials. Paper prepared for presentation to the American Political Science Association, Washington, DC, September, 2000. http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/pepg/
- Holloway, L. (1999, August 25). Aid preferred to vouchers in new survey. New York Times. www.NYTimes.com/
- Janofsky, M. (2000, January 31). Parents lead way as states debate school vouchers. New York Times. http://www.NYTimes.com/
- Levin, H. (1998). Educational vouchers: Effectiveness, choice, and costs, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 17.
- Levin, H. (1990). The theory of choice applied to education. In W. Clune & J. Witte (Eds.), Choice and control in American education, Vol. III: The practice of choice, decentralization, and school restructuring, pp. 285—318. New York: Falmer Press.
- Levin, H. & Driver, C. (1996). Estimating the costs of an educational voucher system. In William J. Fowler, Jr. (Ed.), Selected Papers in School Finance 1994, pp. 63—88. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Educational Statistics.
- Martinez, V., Godwin, K., & Kemerer, F. R. (1996). Public school choice in San Antonio: Who chooses and with what effects? In B. Fuller & R. Elmore (Eds.), Who chooses? Who loses? pp. 50—69. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Metcalf, K. (1998). Evaluation of the Cleveland Scholarship Program: Second-year report, 1997—1998. Bloomington, IN: University of Indiana.
- Muraskin, L., Freid, S., & Lahring, K. (1998). Barriers, benefits, and costs of using private schools to alleviate overcrowding in public schools. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education.
- Murray, F. (1999, January 27). What’s so good about choice? Education Week. http://www.edweek.org/
- National Education Association and American Federation of Teachers. (1999, April). School vouchers: The emerging track record. http://www.weac.org/resource/1998-99/april99/vouchtrack.htm
- National School Boards Association (2000, March). Vouchers–children lose, taxpayers lose. http://www.nsba.org/site/index.asp
- Olson, L. (2000, May 24). Gauging the impact of competition: Responses vary widely, but modest effects overall. Education Week, p. 1.
- Peterson, P. E. (1995). A Critique of the Witte Evaluation of Milwaukee’s School Choice Program (Occasional Paper 95-2). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Center for American Political Studies.
- Peterson, P. E. & Noyes, C. (1996). Under extreme duress: School choice success (Occasional Paper 96-1), Cambridge, MA: Program in Education Policy and Governance, Harvard University.
- Rothstein, R., Carnoy, M., & Benveniste, L. (1999). Can public schools learn from private schools? Washington, DC: Economic Policy Institute.
- Rouse, C. (1997). Private school vouchers and student achievement: An evaluation of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (1997a). Private school universe survey. Washington, DC: Author.
- Wilgoren, J. (2000, March 14). School vouchers a spur to two schools left behind. New York Times. http://www.NYTimes.com/
- Wisconsin Education Association Council. (n.d.). School vouchers. Great Schools Issue Paper.
- Witte, J. F., Thorn, C. A., Pritchard, K. M., & Claibourne, M. (1994). Fourth-year report: Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. Madison, WI: The Robert LaFollette Institute of Public Affairs, University of Wisconsin.
- Witte, J. (1997). Achievement effects of the Milwaukee voucher program. Madison, WI: The Robert LaFollette Institute of Public Affairs, University of Wisconsin.
Next Page: Additional Resources About Voucher Programs
Published in Insights on Educational Policy, Practice, and Research Number 12, September 2000, Vouchers: Yea or Nay